Our Girls State point of contact is Sue Lee at 507-261-5268.
Girls State is an American Legion Auxiliary program to empower and educate young women across Minnesota in Americanism and city, county and state government. This nation-wide program is well-known and recognized by the National Secondary Principal’s Association.The Minnesota program is held one week each June on Bethel University campus in Arden Hills, MN., a suburb of St. Paul, MN. The American Legion Auxiliary Unit 92’s sponsorship of this program includes the program fee, materials, all meals and dormitory room and transportation costs.
1. Candidate must be in her junior year. She must be attending a Minnesota public, charter, home school, parochial or private school or be a resident of Minnesota.
2. She must show respect for the American Flag and be willing and eager to pledge her allegiance to it.
3. She may not have participated as a citizen in any previous session of Girls State.
4. She should be physically healthy.
5. She should have an above average scholastic standing.
6. She should be of high moral character.
7. She should have an interest in government and current events.
8. She should have strong leadership abilities.9. No citizen may leave the college campus at any time, for any reason, except on Girls State-planned excursions.
10. There should be no late arrivals.
Citizens for Girls State do not have to be daughters or relatives of American Legion Auxiliary members, but they must be sponsored by an Auxiliary Unit.
GIRLS STATE APPLICATION INFORMATION
In late January of each year, Minnesota school principals and guidance counselors receive a packet of information on Girls State from the Auxiliary Department office. Guidance counselors may seek interested young women or you may contact the guidance counselor at the high school you attend and express your interest. Auxiliary Unit #92’s Girls State Chairman/Committee schedules an in-school-located appointment to give applicants more information and to interview the young women. The Girls State citizen and one alternate will be selected from that interview. Notification will be within the week of interview. Only after this notification and your acceptance to attend Minnesota Girls State will an application and forms be sent to you.
Eligible Girls State citizens are encouraged to apply for a Samsung Scholarship. Each state’s winner is awarded $1,000. The Department of Minnesota winner is sent on to National Auxiliary for competition of several $10,000 scholarships. To learn more about this unique opportunity go to: www.mnala.org.
Two citizens from the 440 Minnesota Girls State citizens are elected to attend Girls Nation each July in and near Washington, DC. The Minnesota Senior Senator and Junior Senator prepare bills and attend to Minnesota Girls State business on the national level. This American Legion Auxiliary covers expenses of this week-long and fast-paced program.